Who Am I?
I'm an independent, security-focused, software engineer originally from Rockhampton, Australia, now living just outside of Nuremberg, Germany. I've been developing software, primarily web-based, since 1999 and like to think that I'm pretty good at it.
Here's Some Quick Facts
- I'm a independent software engineer, with over 20 years experience with PHP and other open source tools.
- I'm currently working toward the Certified Ethical Hacker certification.
- I started and run Master Zend Framework, the blog that teaches developers all about Zend Framework.
- I wrote Zend Framework 2 Foundations, the book that teaches the core skills required to develop applications with Zend Framework 2.
- I created the Zend Framework the Basics course, an online course that teaches the core skills required to develop applications with Zend Framework 2.
- I created Zend Db Deep Dive for Pluralsight, which provides an in-depth education on Zend\Db.
- I wrote Zend Expressive Essentials, that teaches the essentials of creating applications using Zend Expressive.
- I'm a Zend Certified PHP Engineer.
- I regularly write about Continuous Integration, Deployment, and Development for Codeship.
- I regularly write about software security for Sqreen.
- I write about software development for Codacy, LogDNA, Loggly, and SemaphoreCI.
- I'm the longest, continuous contributing writer to PHP Architect magazine, and started the long-running Education Station column.
- I've spoken at PHP World, and ZendCon, as well as several user groups.
- I refreshed the Zend Framework 2 training course for Zend (RogueWave).
- Languages: PHP, Go(lang), Ruby, Python, and Bash
- Databases: primarily MySQL and PostgreSQL, with some experience with SQLServer and Oracle
- Version control: Git
- Tooling: Vagrant, VirtualBox, Ansible, and Docker
- File formats: JSON, XML, Asciidoc, reStructuredText, Markdown
- Development frameworks: Zend Framework 1, 2, and Zend Expressive, SlimPHP, Laravel
- Testing tools: PHPUnit, Behat, Godog, and Codeception
Me In a Little More Depth
I'm a freelance software engineer, with a heavy focus on security, continuous integration, deployment, and development, and testing. When I'm not doing those things, I'm:
- Writing for a range of top sites to share what I know.
- Creating books and online courses.
- Running two podcasts, Zend Framework Quick Bites and Free the Geek.
I haven't always worked for myself. For the majority of my career to date, I've worked as a permanent employee. But in recent years, I've put more focus in to creating content and training products that help share what I know with other developers. Given that, I switched to full-time freelance and love the benefits that it brings.
When I'm not creating software I love spending time with my wife and young family, traveling and exploring locally, here in Germany, and globally. I love learning languages, my current obsession being German. But I'm planning to add more to the list over the coming years.
As a professional software engineer, trainer, and consultant, with many years of experience, I offer a range of professional consulting services, including:
- Software development
- Teaching and integrating unit testing
- Refactoring legacy code
- Code reviews and quality analysis
- Software training
Get in Touch
If you have a question, get in touch with me anytime. Here's how: